Thursday, 26 July 2012

Hi there...


Hello there…. If anyone reading this: I guess I’d better give a small about me.
I’m a thirty-something wife and stepmother to four kids, I live in East Midlands, work full time and I’ve had a slight obsession with nail varnish for most of my life! For some women it’s shoes or handbags, for others it’s clothes shopping, some like to buy make up and others like to be pampered. My thing is nails (painting or trying nail art)
I think my obsession started when I was about five or six, some time in the 1980s when neons were first around, a neighbour gave me three very bright colours. Then when I was 16 - I had something of a mohawk and lots of different coloured neon hair going on - I found myself wanting black nails. The only place black was readily available then was from a market stall in Derby! At that time I found an array of colours for 60p a bottle and ended up with loads of them: as long as they were not a safe pink or red. I even mixed a few colours myself, but what put me off such franken polishes back then was thinking I’d never manage to recreate this colour so once it was gone, it was gone.
My nail obsession died down a bit when market stall more or less doubled cost, bet they got greedy and wanted more profit from me! I threw the majority away as they became gloopy. I did venture into some of ranges in boots, vampy burgundys and dark blues, but these always disappointed me: I remember a particular duochrome purple / green colour by rimmel which looked great until you went out and at some point across day a whole nail “pinged” off and you’d look down and have 1 bare nail! I had a maybelline something similar happened with. Then I had some stomach problems and I’d read about formaldehyde in nail varnish so I stopped the nail painting at that time.
However I started working, I had spare money and at some point in 2003 I fell in love with QVC, the ease with which it sucked me in, the moment they say something is limited stock and you panic and buy it…. So my rainbow began again. At first I was dubious remembering whole fingernails pinging off, but OPI won me over. I was working in a hard manual job yet my nails looked great thanks to nail envy! I also discovered nails inc at this time.
Across next few years my collection grew, but I also had some I didn’t like in there thanks to way QVC group them: normally two fab colours and one questionable one which probably wouldn’t sell if not grouped in. Not to mention I probably had four bottles of Victoria. Nails Inc included that in everrrry collection, along with Tate red which I had at least two of. Then I found eBay! This meant I could easily get my hands on single colours, it also meant I could sell ones I had more than one of.
When my stash became too much for the shelf it was on I had been throwing the ones I was less fond off away, eBay allowed me to get something back from those. People at work couldn’t believe it when I said I’d sold several bottles of nail varnish and made £50, I didn’t shatter their imagination and tell them that it wasn’t your £2.99 Boots range.
My nail “thing” cooled off when opi released the Russia, France and India collections, by this time I had their go to burgundy and red and purple in a cream, a shimmer and frost, every collection was too “same-y” so I stepped back a bit. I met my other half a life became too busy to paint, eventually I decided to sell about half my collection. One Sunday evening I listed 35 bottles which was about half the collection I had and wasn’t using. The auctions ended the following week and I was £137 better off! Plus I still had all the colours I REALLY liked, just not all of the finishes.
By the time of the auctions I was following a lot of nail blogs, vicariously enjoying other peoples pretty colours…. And suddenly I was back in my “must paint nails” phase. Rest is history, since then I’ve never had a single day without polish! I’ve also expanded my nail collection now to include Zoya, Orly, China Glaze and Barry M. I also have some of the brands I once regarded with horror and fear of pinging off, but now that doesn’t happen, maybe its my preparation, maybe it is a change in my nails or perhaps formula has improved! And I got around the not enough time to do my nails thing when I remembered my old friend seche vite!
Wow my bit about me became a full biography of nails!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, I have approval on so I do read and appreciate all comments left.