Sunday, 10 February 2013

Storage update

I mentioned a while ago that I had been busy organising my stash, well this is the reason why....




I got a helmer!

I have been wanting one for a while, I previously posted about how my polishes were stored in a box my tablet came in, then those two boxes were stacked one on top of the other in a foldable plastic crate with the overflow shoved in the side.  I kept going on at Hubby about this, explaining that if I had a fancy frock worth a grand I'd make sure it was stored properly, it wouldn't be shoved in a basket in a crumpled mess, so why did I take my collection of precious polishes probably worth over that and do the very same?

So on a snowy weekend in January we found ourselves going the one junction up the motorway from where we live to the nearest IKEA store.  Hubby built it for me, now I've seen it done I could probably do it myself, but the instruction book threw me....

I also had ordered 200 nail polish "spoons" from this seller on ebay, they only charged £1.73 for 50 with free shipping from China.  The UK based sellers would have potentially delivered quicker (these took two weeks) but wanted nearer to £7.




After I had ordered my nail polish spoons Michelle of The Polish Well posted about her spoons, I found it an interesting read as her idea for labelling was something I was able to consider and work on whilst awaiting delivery.  I used my nail polish spread sheet to create 200 labels which I chopped up and had waiting in a bowl.  Once I got my spoons I sat watching tv and sticking my labels on then I sorted them into packs according to the polishes I have in each drawer.  I then took a drawer at a time, took all the polishes out and sat with my bundle of already labelled spoons, whichever spoon I picked up I grabbed the polish, painted and returned to the drawer.

I am keeping the helmer in brands and the swatch sticks in colour groups, this suits me best.






I found I had eight polishes which were not on my spreadsheet!  It was quite a good way to "stocktake" my polishes.  It also is an amazing way to view and compare polishes for gradients or accents, or by layering one spoon over another and seeing how a glitter would look over a particular base.


Ombre?

Possible gradient?

Glitter over this lilac?

Now my polishes are being well looked after and I can easily see all my colours on the spoons so hopefully I won't keep using the same lilac over and over when I can see I have alternatives!

I had to order an additional 100 of the spoons, I need 12 more right now and I can foresee me needing more very soon!

10 comments:

  1. wow love the spoon idea:) congrats on getting a helmer!!! Luck you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! Congrats on the Helmer! Do the spoons have holes at the bottom so you can keep them on a ring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have holes, they have a small bar with a bolt on it to hold them together, but I'm thinking of changing it to a chain so it's easier to add new colours. They aren't strong enough to use a ring from a keyring, I considered it but I'm sure the plastic would snap

      Delete
  3. What did you use to stick the labels on? They look so neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a roll of Sellotape extra clear, it's true to name, very clear without the slightly yellow hue.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the Helmer! I would love to have a few of those, both for my polishes and for my scrapbooking stuff (I have a ton of that! lol). Where did you get your spoons? I love the idea of being able to compare like that and looks much neater than a nail wheel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They came from a seller in China on eBay, I've put a link to their store above. I ordered four packs of 50, then an additional two packs of 50. Seller packed really well as I imagined some may be broken in transit, but I had no problems at all. The first were slower due to Christmas, but the second order arrived in a week and half

      Delete
    2. Thank you so very much for the link. I will definitely be checking it out because I need those spoons. :D

      Delete
    3. I first saw them on the nail junkie blog, Aleta has her spoons stuck in a scrapbook, they look fab, a bit like the hairdresser colour chart books. But I do like them on the bolts so you can fan them out :)

      Delete

Comments are welcome, I have approval on so I do read and appreciate all comments left.