Sunday, 3 March 2013

Sunday Rambling: Polish Remover

Today's Sunday rambling is about removers, I get through 250ml every 6 weeks!

I used to be an acetone free only user.  I have no idea why, maybe I just enjoyed it taking the best part of half an hour and half a bottle to clean my nails?  

For a while I bought into the train of thought why spend money on OPI Nail Envy and Avoplex if I was going to undo all the good work by using a harsh remover, so I used to use their Acetone Free remover.  Alison Young from QVC uses that phrase as part of her sales pitch! The OPI remover costs £7.35 for 120ml in Boots.

Then I realised that not all acetone removers were the spawn of the devil.  And cheaper too!

At present I am using Sainsbury's own brand remover, it cost £1.30 for 250ml, but best of all it was delivered with my grocery shopping and I didn't have to go into a shop as I'd ordered it all online!  

The remover contains Acetone, Aqua, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Panthenol,PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Denatonium Benzoate,CI 42090 (copied and pasted from their website.)

I have no idea what half of those ingredients are (ignorance is bliss!) but I do know that this polish remover applied to a cotton wool pad will clean the nails of one hand. 


I have also used Co-Op own brand remover regularly, this was a blessing for me as I pass Co-Op every night on my way home, the bottle shape is very similar to Sainsbury's own brand, so I suspect they probably get made at the same factory and labelled up with different names. 


I did try using Boots own brand remover.  This was a bit different, it left a very oily feeling on my skin.  It was also a nuisance if I had a dark polish as the oil spread the colour onto my skin and caused dirty looking skin.  The acetone level in the Boots polish must be higher because it works so much better for clean up with a brush, but it also killed my clean up brush and made half of the bristles fall out.


Whilst I have been using the removers from Sainsbury's and Co-Op my nails have been pretty good, so for now I don't see any point in returning to an acetone free one.


Which remover do you use?

4 comments:

  1. I currently use a bottle from the pound shop which does contain acetone. I hate all nail polish removers, they all seem to turn my nails yellow. I've just started using PVA glue as a base so I now use only a small amount of polish remover. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PVA doesn't work for me :( I peel and peel but it comes off in teeeny shreds

      Delete
  2. I use Asda's own make. They have an on going deal 5 for £4 and the cotton pads are included. I go through a bottle in 4 weeks! I've always used ones with acetone. I usually give it about 1 hour before painting again, gives the nails and fingers time to recover from the shock of acetone!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have two large asda stores very close by and I have looked for own brand but can't find it, they only ever seem to have cutex which doesn't work for me.

      Delete

Comments are welcome, I have approval on so I do read and appreciate all comments left.