Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Distressed Silver Leaf / OPI Can't Find My Czech-book

The first Saturday in June I ordered some items from Born Pretty Store, they arrived yesterday and I was so excited by the silver leaf that I had to try it straight away.

Just to be clear from the offset, whilst I may have recently reviewed some items for BPS, all items in this post were bought and paid for by me!

I used a base colour of OPI Can't Find my Czechbook over Nail Envy, used some Seche then gave it about half an hour whilst googling silver and gold leaf to try and figure out how it worked.  I couldn't find anything so I just made it up as I went along!

I'll explain what I did after the pictures!




Initially I tried a tape mani trying for solid silver stripes but when peeling the tape the leaf would lift.  I did my whole left hand that way, but gave up with that idea.  Then I basically laid the leaf over my nail and rubbed and rubbed until some came back off.

If I didn't like the effect as there wasn't enough silver I just did it again.  Too much?  Gently scratch it off.

Once I'd done I realised what a mess the breakfast bar was, lots of shredded silver leaf everywhere, then hubby pointed it out on my face and in my hair (WTF?!) along with my top and trousers (good thing I was wearing scruffy old clothes.)  Note to self for next time, lay down paper!  The larger shards were gathered up and put back in the pot so I can apply it in shards like those special top coats and the breakfast bar soon cleaned up with a Flash wipe.

The silver leaf gives an amazing chrome like finish, I'm considering trying it as a full nail over a silver polish for a full on silver whammy.

The set retails at $5.53 with free shipping, for that you get 12 pots of the leaf, six silver six gold, each containing a strip of the leaf.  I used a whole pot for this, although there was some scraps left over and I didn't know what I was doing.   Most bloggers do have a code for a 10% discount, mine is shown over on the right of my page and I'll add it below.

As it's Wednesday it's British Nail Blogger link up day!

Loading InLinkz ...

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I love that it looks like a piece of turquoise jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh really love this effect x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, I have approval on so I do read and appreciate all comments left.