Saturday, 17 August 2013

A Theoretical Quandry!

One of the Facebook nail groups I'm in had a recent chat where someone was saying she was off to college, staying in dorms and could only take about 20 polishes with her.  She would be away from the main stash for up to three months. Apparently the accomodation meant that very often items tend to grow legs and disappear - when I went to uni I didn't stay in halls so it's not something I'd considered...  but if I was faced with time away from home and limited access to my polish stash, what would I take?!

My first thoughts would be is it going to be an environment where things "disappear" or would it be somewhere where the the VHTF OPI DS polishes may be safe?!  Even if it was safe would my polishes be safe in transit?  Claire of Kerruticles recently posted on her FB page that her bottle of OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls had been damaged whilst travelling.  Dislike button needed.

So I got to thinking about what I would need if I was in this situation.  I haven't gathered everything together for photos but the names are all links to existing posts using the polishes.

For starters I would definitely need my base: SpaRitual Protein Boost, my oil: SpaRitual Cuti-Cocktail and a decent topcoat: Seche Vite.

I would need a black and white creme polish, so this would have to be OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls and Wet n Wild Black Creme.

I guess a rainbow of other colours, a holo or two, a glitter and a texture.

Red - Barry M Gelly in Blood Orange
Orange - Barry M Gelly in Mango
Yellow - Barry M in Lemon Ice Cream
Green - Barry M Gelly in Greenberry and Spring Green
Blue - Barry M Gelly in Blue Grape, Barry M Blueberry and Kiko 295
Teal - Barry M Gelly in Guava
Purple - Barry M Gelly in Prickly Pear and Barry M Indigo
Pink - Barry M Boots Limited Edition Pink
Nude - Color Club Nomadic in Nude

Holo - If there was a chance it could walk or get damaged in transit then I would not take one, I love all my holos polishes far too much!  If it was definitely safe then I would take Kiko 401 and Jade Magia.

For glitter I would take Barry M Rose Quartz and W7 Multi Glitter.

My texture polish of choice would be Barry M Atlantic Road.

The majority of those polishes are cheap ones, so if they were damaged in transit or disappeared I wouldn't be terribly gutted, apart from the holos, I could replace them all easily.

I think if I had these polishes, a few dotting tools, some striping tape, studs, a few stamping plates and my brushes I could easily get by for a while, there's plenty of options in those colours.   It was a real hard choice to make that theorectical cut to my collection and I have to admit I'm glad it's not me having to make those decisions!  I certainly wouldn't be happy committing to keeping those and selling my stash, although if you were just starting out with a polish addiction they could be a good starter set up!

How's about you, if faced with only having a limited number of polishes what would you pick, would you have any must haves to take or some NFW is that going anywhere in case I lose it precious polishes?

14 comments:

  1. I would've have thought this would be fairly easy (obviously I'd miss all my pretties, but 20 would be enough to get by right..?). Except I have a few polishes on my coffee table at the moment, and I counted them last night and turns out there's 50...so I guess 20 really isn't many! I think I'd go for the same approach as you though, black and white and one each of all the basic colours, then as many glitters and holos as I had room left for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd really hope 20 would be enough if I was in that predicament, luckily I'm not so I can have my 300ish to choose from!

      Delete
  2. IT would be hard to limit!!! Is finding other living arrangements a possibility? (JK) I would probably do the same as you pick a few fave cremes, maybe one nude, and lotsa glitta! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't considered it and I'm glad I don't have a limit!

      Delete
  3. I'd probably just stay in the corner weeping! Although I would defo take a spectraflair topcoat so all the colours could be holo. Other than that, I would be broken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fab idea!! I don't have a spectraflair topcoat, but I soooo want some to widen my holo choice!

      Delete
    2. It's addictive when you first get it! Every 5 minutes you think of another colour in your stash you want to see holo-ified. (yes, i just made that word up, and yes, you may totally have it : D ) xx

      Delete
    3. I Soooooooooo must start stalking spectraflair on ebay again. I used to have google reader alerts set up for spectraflair and chromaflair on eBay, but never got alerted (I think it was broken)

      Delete
    4. Here's the ebay item number for the one I get: 290834267618 It's from Indigo Bananas in the US xxx

      Delete
    5. awesome I'll go take a look :)

      Delete
  4. It's nearly 30 years ago that I went away to university. And I wasn't into painting my nails back then. But I just don't think I'd want to be parted from my polish for such a long time if I were to go now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I couldn't imagine being away from my helmer for more than a week!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I agree - Open University it is then!

      Delete

Comments are welcome, I have approval on so I do read and appreciate all comments left.