Sunday, 29 September 2013

Barry M Royal Glitters and Sequin nail paints

Yay for back ache keeping me up, 4am on a Sunday morning... (not!) But it gave me chance to write this post up, so silver linings and all that!

I have been sent three of the glittery / texture polishes by Barry M for review.

L-R Dutchess, Majesty and Black Sequin
The two on the left are from the new Royal Glitters collection which is currently available in Superdrug stores and online at BarryM.com, they will also be available in Boots from 2/10/13.  They retail at £3.99.  The Royal Glitters selection is a range of five textured, glitter polishes with a matte effect.  The black one on the right is from the Sequin nail polish collection and is already available at £3.99 in usual Barry M outlets, there are three colours in the Sequin range to choose from.

The two Royal Glitters are not labelled, so I have had a quick look on Google and (I owe a big thanks to Alice from One Nail to Rule Them All's review with it's amazingly clear pictures) I think I have picked out the names correctly.  If I am wrong please leave me a comment so I can correct it!!

Ok, the Royal Glitters...  WOW!!  These are amazing.  They go on smoothly and give full coverage in two coats.  They apply smoothly and look shiny for a short time, then the shine dries leaving a matte base colour with lots of sparkling glitter and texture, three big trends combined into one.

Dutchess is mesmerising, a combination of pink, silver and gold coming together in one sparkling bottle.  Looking at the pictures it reminds me of rose gold jewellery.




Next is Majesty, a huge surprise to me as I don't normally wear gold, but this is gold I will wear.  I didn't want to take it off!  I kept looking at it, the intensity of the sparkle against matte has to be seen in person to be believed.  Stunning.


it's a bit blurry but you can see the intensity of the glitter


I have seen the Royals likened to OPI Liquid Sands (I don't have any to compare) and Zoya Pixie Dusts.  I only have one Pixie Dust- London- which looks very dull in comparison to a Royal, it doesn't have the same intensity of glitter or the same level of texure.  I do have some Kiko Sugar Mat polishes, which are similar, but Kiko don't shimmer as intensely either.  The Royals are amazing and I can't wait to get my hands on the other three!  The texture of a Royal is a typical texured polish: slightly gritty and raised, but not to the point that it would be difficult to wear or catch on clothes.

The Black Sequin polish is a bit different to the Royal Collection.  I think it was a stepping stone and allowed Barry M to test drive the combination of glitter and texture.  I have to admit, I didn't find it as awe inspiring as a Royal.  Hubby loved this, he says it's different; he loves black though and when I wear a bright nail polish he suggests it would be nice hidden under a black shatter polish or some black stamping.





I can see where the thinking was, and love the idea of black with gold glitter, however it felt a bit grungy when I put it on (remember this is coming from the woman who had a black themed, goth wedding: grungy isn't a bad thing to me, but not something I often wear on my nails!)

I think the black texture alone would have been a perfect black leather polish, adding in the glitter makes it harder to smooth across the nail and in places it seemed a bit lumpy - see my little finger.  The glitter made me think of scales.   Once dry the texture is very raised and I would find it very hard to wear because the moment something is catching or raised I start picking at it: I would pick the polish right off.  I think it would be fair to say this isn't the type of polish you would want to wear when you have tights on as it may snag on them!  I am glad that Barry M continued to try combining glitter and texture as they have done it so well with the Royals!

Products were provided for review, opinions are my own.

3 comments:

  1. I would love to see some pics from your wedding. Me and my hubby-to-be are both metalheads so don't want a traditional wedding so I'm looking for ways to tweak it without spending too much. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll send yo a friend request on Facebook, you can see the album then!u

      Delete
    2. thanks hun, I'll go and have a nose around : ) xx

      Delete

Comments are welcome, I have approval on so I do read and appreciate all comments left.