Saturday, 21 September 2013

Guest nails - Chel goes dotty

Today I have a special set of nails on my blog, I think this is pretty much the first time in over a year I have shown anyone's nails other than my own or an inlinkz!

My youngest step-daughter Chelsea is 14 and has recently started a hair and beauty course as part of her GCSE options, she has said the area she wants to try and work on is nails and well... I guess I can help!  I hate doing other people's nails as I feel cack-handed and awkward, but showing people and explaining things is dead easy, part of my job is training and mentoring people!

First thing I've shown her is dotting tools, how simple they are!  I've also shown her how resting her hand on the counter helps steady application and briefly shown her how I clean up my nails around the edge using my angled brush and acetone.  Best of it is she probably didn't even know she was learning because she enjoyed it!

I did the thumb - middle finger flowers on her right hand, Chel did the rest herself including the fill in dots and her whole left hand (no mean feat as she's left handed!)  Check out these long skinny fingers!

Polishes used were a base of Wet N Wild Black Creme, white dots of OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls and pink Barry M Grapefruit Gelly.







We've still got to polish up (groan) the hand poses put not bad for a first attempt, eh?  What shall we do on lesson number two?!  Any suggestions?

Kind of related to this is another Chelsey also with white, pink and black dots: I have been an "inspired by" for Polished by Chelsey on Instagram, if you are an IG user check out her page, she does fab manis.




One other little thing which made my day was noticing that two of my manis have been  shown as #talontrendthursday on Beauty UK's Facebook page and reading the lovely comments :)

32 comments:

  1. I love dotty mani's and yours are just beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job for the first time wielding a dotting tool. Well done Chel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she did really well, especially as I was mean and did her right hand knowing full well she's left handed!!

      Delete
  3. Amazing job, ladies! The design is adorable and I love the colors you used :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liesl. I'm thinking stripes next or maybe stamping?

      Delete
  4. Super cute, she did a great job! Get 'em started young ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to move over Helen and give up your nail "newbie" title as we have our newest newbie in the starting blocks. From now on you will have to be "the nail not so newbie"

      Delete
  5. Wow, this is really great. Techniques are well done, and the color combination is gorgeous. I love the dotticure, but the flowers really grab me because they carry the accent nail base into the design. Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the flowers are my favourites too! I'm going to have to try and move madam away from her black polish a bit, she tends to wear black a lot, so when I gave her the choice of a black or white base I **knew** she'd pick black!!

      Delete
  6. This is really beautiful and so much better than I could achieve! I cannot believe this is your first attempt! Can you come and do mine please? :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try them Claire, just rest your arms on a steady surface and remember you can easily correct any mistakes!

      Delete
  7. She did really well for her first go. Striping brush next, methinks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire, striping brush seems to be the main consensus. I may throw in some striping tape too though :P

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie, more dotticures coming soon, I'm sure!!!

      Delete
  9. These are really cute! Much better than my first attempt, that's for sure : ) Maybe striping brush or glitter gradients next xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Striping brushes have been a popular suggestion! Maybe a Nailasaurus style waterfall?! I hadn't considered a glitter gradient. I'm not very good at them myself so we can learn together!

      Delete
  10. Amazing job! I love them (: She has more patience than I do because most of my manis smudge! (: Keep it up and definitely following on IG now (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The WnW black creme is a bugger for smudging, I've learnt this the hard way myself so I made sure Chel left plenty of time before using a generous coat of Seche.

      Delete
  11. The spacing on the dotting is just perfect - love the colour combo too. So cute! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're right about spacing - she did better than me, my first dotticure was all too close together. Eeek I even entered that into a competition with Avon... gawd!

      Delete
  12. They look super, hard to believe this is a first attempt. I love the choice of colours too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison! The colour choice was a fluke really, I always have my black and white on hand and the pink had escaped my helmer as I'd just used it myself.

      Delete
  13. Aww, she did so well! I love the flowers :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I!! I think she prefers her just plainly dotted hand, but I love the dotty flowers.

      Delete
  14. She did a great job. My first time using the dotting tools felt very awkward and my placement was all off. Looks like youve got a budding nail artist!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, I have approval on so I do read and appreciate all comments left.