Thursday, 12 September 2013

So you got a new fancy camera....

But can you use it?!  I've been a bit quiet on most fronts over the last week and a half, I've had a few things going on (sinusitis, antibiotics, moan, moan) and I ordered a new fancy SLR camera.  Both hubby and I had decided it would be a worthwhile investment and a step up from just pointing and shooting.

I ordered it on a Friday 30th August.  I paid for quick delivery so it would come the next day.  I sat and waited all day for the camera to come (from 7am-9pm) but it never came.  I checked the online tracking, last seen loaded on a van in Leicester at 7.23am but then ???? you know as much as I do!  It went missing.  I have had a real week and half of time spent backwards and forwards between seller and delivery company, eventually Yodel admitted it was lost to me, but they only just told the sender yesterday, when finally my refund was completed.  It's been a nightmare from start to finish.  In the end I went into the local Currys and picked it up in store.

So I can take a mean photo of the cat :)  but give me nails and the pictures have been either "noisy" blurred or black, hubby got one decent photo of them but it was using the flash and I don't like to rely on flash to get a picture.

So here's a few photos taken along the way with the new camera...

Cracking picture of the cat, mid lick.


I finally tried the lilac mirror from Special FX for stamping, it worked really well.  Shame  the picture didn't show it!


Next one is more in focus, but still not perfect and needed the flash.


Another blurry one of a dotticure using Catrice Miss Piggy's BF and Mentality Wily.


Another mean picture of the cat, cropped hubby out of most of the photo but he was a fab border to the picture.


Hurrah is this an in focus picture of Zoya London, but still having issues with the positioning in light box and taking the photo (not a comfortable pose!)


Fingers crossed we're getting there!  But please bear with me over the next few days as there may be some iffy pictures!  Yesterday's Barry M review featured first proper photos taken with the new camera (no flash!) so I'm about ready to go :)

On the positive side of things, the car sailed through it's MOT yesterday so Christmas isn't cancelled!

13 comments:

  1. Wow looks really good quality photo, just a bit cropping and you're good to go :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really impressed by it, the old camera was also a 14mp, but the photos lacked the clarity and definition. I think it's giong to be a well used purchase!

      Delete
  2. If you're just starting out with a DSLR (or even photography in general) there's a great book called Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Helped me a lot when I first started out.

    Love your cat! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I downloaded the book on my kindle last Friday, but got lost in the numbers and technical terms! I was mid sinusitis induced migraine at the time! You're second person to recommend it so I'll defo go back to it once these antibiotics clear my head.

      Delete
    2. It was recommended to me when I first got into photography a couple of years ago, and it helped a lot. I had to read some parts a couple of times but when it did sink in properly it was like a lightbulb went off in my brain, lol. I do street photography mostly but doing it for my nail blog is a whole different challenge. :)

      Delete
    3. I figured out on my own that the dial on screen needs to be central for decent cat pictures. It took a bit of button pressing, but I got there. I think now I have done that, revisiting the book will make more sense! I started reading it and said to hubby I should have stuck to the point and shoot on manual and spent a tenner on the book. But now I am getting more used to it I can see it being fab.

      Delete
  3. Ooh where did you get your lightbox from?

    I had a right nightmare with couriers this week too, the driver walked right past my work (which has a huge sign to tell you it's there) and tried to deliver it to an abandoned building on another street. Two days in a row. It finally arrived today and didn't even fit so I have to send it back. So put off ordering online now!

    www.gleepface.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! How do these couriers get their jobs?

      My lightbox was from Amazon, I got it back in February, it's a mammoth thing which folds down flat in a self contained bag. It came with a tripod and lights.

      Delete
  4. Wohoo congrats on the camera! I'm sure you'll nail it!
    I have my eyes on Olympus Pen with the changeable lens. Its small, portable and I'm sure it will give the result I'm looking for ... Unfortunately I'll wait for next year to get it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds a fab idea, a portable with changable lenses will keep an eye out for you posting a similar blogpost in the new year then!

      Delete
  5. love those pink and green spotty nails and I adore your cat!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie, he adores cuddles, fuss and attention. He is more like a dog at times! He has been snapped about 600 times when I was getting used to the camera!!! The nose licking picture made me realise how quick the camera is!

      Delete
  6. <3 the chocolate point *chuckles*, don't tell my Siamese though, they will get jealous.
    I'm still figuring out best lighting for my lightbox as well, right now I'm using just light from above, hold my hand closer to the top, SLR on a sturdy tripod seems to work ok. I liked this article, though I did not manage to get my manual white balance to work out like it should yet: http://pareandfocus.com/index.htm/how-to-use-a-lightbox/

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, I have approval on so I do read and appreciate all comments left.