Wednesday, 2 October 2013

33DC Day 5- Mexican

Before going into the post, I just wanted to say that I am only going to participate in the 33dc until Friday and over the next couple of weeks my blog posting may be every other day. At the end of August I had a nail polish related accident (sat down to paint my nails, slipped as I did so, ended up hitting the floor!) I did  hurt my shoulder, but at the time it wasn't a problem. Since then it really became an issue to the point that even breathing in hurts, so I am going to rest up a bit, the Dr thinks I may have torn a muscle and I am awaiting the physio to try to help. I already have Friday's 33DC done, I have part of Monday's too in the fact that my oldest untried was the base and I have swatched it.  I have a few posts lined up already and have contacted a couple of people to see if they will consider a guest post too.  I am already looking forwards to being "normal" again!!!! 

This is the post that I did twice.

I was a bit clueless and uninspired by Mexican, until I started to think maybe I could recreate a mani originally done by a Mexican nail blogger?  This train of thought led me to Polished Love blog, where I realised Dia de los Muertos with the amazing Catrinas are Mexican in celebration of their Day of the Dead.  This one was a fail, I've included a photo of my fail at the end.  So I tried again.





When looking for more inspiration, I remembered I had an OPI from their Mexico collection, released back in 2006.  With this red as my starting point I loosely took my prompts from the Mexican flag (well I took my colours from there) and used a combo of OPI You Rock-a-pulco Red, My Boyfriend Scales Walls and Jade is the New Black along with a Sally Hansen Gem Crush glitter whose name escapes me at the moment.  This ended up more Christmas than Mexico in my opinion....






And now the fail...  I freehanded "sugar skulls" decals on a plastic bag. These didn't apply well, so I didn't even waste my time cleaning up.


My base colours were Barry M Gellys in Key Lime, Mango and Watermelon, the decals were painted using OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls, a-england Camelot and accents of Barry M Blue Grape, Grapefruit and Guava.




4 comments:

  1. <3 I hope you will be feeling better after your rest :)
    I love the manis ;) Your freehand is way better than mine for example ;)))
    xx
    Dimitta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - we had the same idea! So much easier than skulls, eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful skittle, and cute sugar skulls. I hope you feel better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, I have approval on so I do read and appreciate all comments left.