Monday, 27 January 2014

Magpie Monday - Mentality Divergent

For today's Magpie Monday I have the final swatch pictures from my drafts which suit my Magpie Monday theme (I had flu during the last fortnight and I had very little will to do my nails.)

Sally Magpies is my favourite "go to" store for indies and one of my most favourite of brands stocked are Mentality.  I haven't really swatched any Mentality polishes alone, but today's polish is a beautiful deep inky blue holo and has to be seen alone.

The following pictures are two coats, no top coat.






This last picture is taken on my phone taken in the direct wintery sunshine, but it captures the holo.


Divergent is a deep blue with a hint of purple.  The holo is definitely there as you can see on the last picture, it just hides a little in the light box (don't all holos...)  It goes on smoothly and could be a one coater with a steady application, as ever I used two.  I haven't tried stamping with this polish, but I am sure it would be pigmented enough to do this.

Whilst wearing Divergent I realised I have a couple of deep blue inky holo polishes and decided to do a comparison with these.  I got Polish Addict Nail Color in Frost Bite and a-england Tristram to compare.  When I held Tristram in my hand with my nails painted Divergent it looked to be the same colour, however in the light box picture it is apparent that Tristram is a more intense blue with less of the purple hints, but in this lighting Frost Bite looks quite close.


This final picture is taken on my phone in direct sunshine to capture the holo.  Frost Bite looks to be in a slightly blacker base, but still very similar.


I am a big fan of both Mentality and a-england so I would have a tough time picking the best polish between them: as much as I like the Polish Addict colour, the other two seem much better quality.   

Mentality are a particular favourite of mine as they offer great quality at a good value price and they wear really well on me.  The usual retail price is between £5 and £7 depending on the polish, some collections are at the more expensive end of that price bracket, but their bottle size is 15ml; a-england retail at £9 for 11ml (some of my older bottles were 13ml, but I noticed the newer polishes are only 11ml) however you do get free postage - Sally offers free postage if you spend over £20.  I don't think I've ever paid for postage when I order from her site!  Mentality have a huge range and I think Sally stocks them all.  I know there was a huge restock of the Mentality done yesterday, I was stalking the site as there were a couple of new matte polishes I wanted and some older ones that had been out of stock. 

In my round up of 2013 I nominated Mentality as my brand of the year and with each new set of polish pictures I see of their range makes me rate them more and more.  I'm particularly suckered by their matte ranges, but I also like the holos and stampers.  I previously posted about their fab range of top coats too.

Magpie Mondays are in no way sponsored by Sally and I have purchased all polishes featured myself.

1 comment:

  1. such a gorgeous colour, never picked up any mentality polishes but the gorgeous swatches you have are lovely. may have to go pick some up! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, I have approval on so I do read and appreciate all comments left.