Saturday, 19 July 2014

Two Fingers Up to the Internet Trolls

Ok, so before we get into this post, I feel I ought to warn you that there is strong language ahead!  If you are easily offended, leave this post now and come back for my next post!


This post is relating to my recent experience with an internet troll.  

Trolling is a term for the pathetic people who sit at home hidden behind a computer and criticise people.  Fundamentally they are bullies.  We have all encountered bullies in some form, be it in school when there was that horrible kid, in bad relationships and even in the workplace.  The internet is a welcome platform for these horrible creatures, a place where they can hide and say what they like and only be challenged verbally, no one can turn round and give them the smack in the teeth they deserve.  The internet is a safe place for them.  The internet is a wonderful tool, without it I wouldn't be chatting daily with a friend in Florida, writing this blog or mixing daijly with my lovely readers via the various social media platforms.  Yet out there in the darker recesses of the internet, the horrible troll bullies live.  To me they are on a par with the weirdos pretending to be a 15 year old boy in order to speak with young girls and try and meet them.

I am a 35 year old woman, I was a child in the 80s, before all the PC "softly softly, tread carefully" bullshit came in, I have ginger hair and I survived.  As a kid I learned the best way to deal with bullies was to take away their power, laugh in their face, show them you aren't intimidated by them, to some extent reflect their venom right back at them.  This is something I still firmly believe in and have told my stepdaughter when she was younger and having trouble with kids.  I have left comments for my cousin's kid who is getting bullied for looking "different" explaining this.  Bev I am going to email you this to show Natalie.  Natalie, I have been there.  I was that kid once.  I was the only kid in my year who loved heavy metal, I looked different, I certainly never actually smacked the bullies in the teeth, I never needed to as I was quick enough to put them in their place verbally and make everyone laugh at them.  A bully detests this, when the audience they were acting up to turns round and laughs at them.  This post is for you Pinterest user "Nail Police" as promised.  You are a fucking bully.  And a weak one, who blocked me the moment I said I had screen shots showing this.

Ok so here's what happened....

I recently had a look on Pinterest after being a bit lazy with updating my pins.  I had a look at pins of images taken from my site and found this.  It is just the pink nails here, the screenshot captued the lovely Vic's pin - nothing to do with the bullying!




Worse still was finding how this person had gone to town with Kerrie of PishPosh & Polish.  A bully usually is a weak person hiding behind a false powerful exterior, so I can only imagine that the person who is behind this account (and seemingly hates Kerrie and I) is suffering from some kind of jealousy.  Maybe they are a failed blogger?  What is it Nail Police?  Perhaps you feel your hands and nails look far superior to either of ours and yet we have been blogging longer / have more followers / better ideas / better pictures / more polish / more regular posts? Maybe you are the opposite end of the spectrum, one of the weird internet pervs, a hand fetishist out for a quick wank who couldn't get it up for my nails or Kerries?  
Some petty reason, possibly one of those I just mentioned, has driven them to create a board on Pinterest of things they don't like.  Hell yeah, that's a great idea, keep a pin board of stuff you hate, so you can look at it time and time again?  Awesome.  Why not start collecting your own shit in a jar and looking at that too?  Bitterness must fucking eat you up from the inside.

Not being afraid to take on a bully, I happily left some comments, these include "the C word" which some people find offensive.  As a literature student (something else I have in common with Kerrie) I see the C word as just another word.  A term which may shock some, but ultimately is just four letters.  








I also shared this to my Facebook page and instantly got supportive comments from the people who make me feel the internet is a positive place.  I am a member of a few groups on Facebook and commented in there, the members left comments on the pictures and reported the page inappropriate.  The pins disappeared for a short time as a result of this.  I then noticed the horrible descriptions had been amended to simply say pink. A descripton of a pin from Kerrie's page once said "serial offender and now says green.



 Then the fun starts, I get an email notification that 'Nail Police' has replied to my comment.  "Game on!" says Emma, rubbing her hands together.  Suddenly they say there are pins of my nails gone on a good board, "wooopdedoooo, aren't I fucking lucky? I made it to the good board!"  I actually laughed at this as the approved nails are from last year, hey is it that long since I produced something pinworthy Nail Police?!  But then there is a comment saying I had asked for "constructive criticism" this sounds like a perfect invite for me to reply...



My final comment got me blocked, the poor, weak, pathetic bully cracked and couldn't take it any more.  At this time I am unsure if the board is still going or not.  Try the link, if it's still going call him or her a cunt for me.  Two fingers to the trolls!  Full nail art post offering two fingers will be coming soon!   I may even leave polish on my fingers and skip top coat to ensure it gets right on the bully's tits.  If he or she has any.  They certainly don't have any balls.

If you are reading this 'Nail Police' (given you pinned from my page, you probably do read my blog) then please feel free to email me at emmas.little.corner@gmail.com and tell me who you are.  I will happily continue the discussion.  Just know that I will also happily take screen shots and share them.



I know some people will question why I have written this post and given any type of acknowlegement or reaction to the bully.  This is my first time finding any type of negative stuff about my blog out there.  If people can't take shit being hurled back at them then they shouldn't dish it out (how does that meme from Facebook go, this who stir the shit pot should be prepared to lick the spoon?)  I have always had the confidence to stand up to bullies however there may have been people who had been pinned on the board who wouldn't speak up or may have been upset or possibly even decided not to try again due to the negativity they experienced.  If my speaking out makes the troll, ay troll think twice before posting then that's a good thing, if not then game on, by being nasty you invitingly place a big target for me to aim my 99% bitch at :) 

27 comments:

  1. you go girl! That people think spending their time doing something destructive is a valuable way to use your life ..... pah! you said it best - she's a c***face xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so bad isn't it Debbie. How to be bitter and miserable and dwell on it in your every day life

      Delete
  2. Well done! What an utter arse! Btw her profile seems to be deleted now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucie, and glad to know it is gone

      Delete
  3. I love this post and all your posts OBV. I suffered with bullying too but I was never quick enough with comebacks so I learnt to ignore them. They are all horrid and need naming and shaming in my opinion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roz, I will definitely name and shame if I see it :)

      Delete
  4. I've got psoriasis and it's people like you who give me the confidence to go out in skirts even though my legs are a weird scabby mess. A lot of people might question this post, but to those people I say, if a blog post makes even one person feel better about themselves then it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you keep doing it too Heather, the sun light helps psoriasis in my experience. If you get any nasty comments give an smile evil and tell them it is leprosy and not to get too close or they may catch it, then watch then squirm and make excuses to get as far away as possible ;)

      Delete
  5. Brilliant post hunny and well done for standing up for yourself and others ...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Wish I was as quick at you with retorts. Tail between their legs - what an idiot! Posts like this inspire those friendly internet users not to take any rubbish from trolls. Thank you so much for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Troll the trolls back :) I knew they would block me before I blocked them ;)

      Delete
  7. Just one more reason for me to love you all the more, Em, not a bit afraid to speak your mind when you need to! I think I saw that in you when we first started becoming friends and it's one of the reasons we became friends so quickly. :) I also have a feeling, although there is absolutely no science behind it, that people who have had similar experiences when younger tend to find each other when they are older, especially if they've learned to overcome them and have become stronger for it. Plus I'm a ginger and was goth before that was even a term so we just be sisters on some celestial level. lol

    Keep standing up for what you believe in girlfriend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you Angela! I didn't ever realise you were a fellow ginge! You may be right with your theory, it does happen time and time again that people tend to come together later on and have so much in common :)

      Delete
  8. She seems to have taken down her nail police board. I'm glad you wrote this post because people need to learn that it's not okay to say harsh things to other people. Just because you can say something mean, really doesn't mean people should. If you don't have anything nice to say, then keep your trap shut and don't say it. Whoever this person is needs to get a hobby because they definitely aren't contributing anything besides amusing themselves. Your nails and nail designs look great and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Something I omitted in my post is confidence, that can be something which makes you a target, if you are different and confident with it an insecure bully will try to unsettle you. Positive feedback like yours keeps my confidence there, thank you for taking the time to write those lovely words :)

      Delete
  9. Hi this is Emma's husband. This is just one of the many reasons why I love her. She can take anyone on, makes me proud I tell ya. This is why we make a good team, she can verbally strip them nude, and Me..... I just Fuck them up physically. Love you always babe. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww hubs is "out" now, blogger virginity stolen with that comment. Love you more than words my sweetheart xXx

      Delete
  10. I admire and respect you so much Emma - you have an amazing blog and do amazing work - cleaner and more detailed than I can accomplish on my longer nails! I am going to be doing a write up about this weekend myself soon... when I find my words. The whole thing was disgusting bu it tickles the bejeezus out of me that people think they can appoint themselves police of the internet - as though being judgmental ho-bags somehow escalates them about being "basic bitches."

    You've got the right idea about the whole thing though - all they're doing by pinning your "awful" nails is driving more traffic to your blog. Thanks for monetizing the object of your disgust, stupid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali! Thanks for all your support through the night as it unfolded too. Some fab people out in t'internet land, just a shame the very small minority try to ruin it for everyone else.

      Delete
  11. you go girl!!! just read Kerries, and im pretty shell shocked that people like this are around, and worse, feel they have a right to say whats right and wrong.....there IS no right or wrong..polish is one of the beautiful things that suits any type of nail.

    How dare they think theyre better than you?? Why are they better?? Theyre the lowest of the low as far as i can see....
    its sad the time has come where people think its right to slate or people cos they do something thats not their taste....as the old saying goes "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all"....

    being nasty benefits noone. They come across as complete idiots and total bitches, and a bully.

    Great post, i think its hit a chord with a lot of people
    Claire
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Claire, that old phrase is really what those horrible people should remember, if there's nothing nice to say then keep your mouth shut. Pinning images and leaving horrible comments sounds like too much effort, in my opinion, if you don't like it "look off" look away and fuck off, LOLOLOLOLOL!!!

      Delete
  12. I LOVE you Emma! You can be on my Anti-bully Dream Team anytime. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've summed it up perfectly Emma! We are so much better than getting sucked down by a silly troll! Short nails rock just as much

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, I have approval on so I do read and appreciate all comments left.