Monday, 28 December 2015

Issues with Onycholysis - why I haven't posted much recently.


My issues with onycholysis - why I haven't posted much or Mentality burns, the gift that keeps on giving.

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas! I mentioned in my OPI DS Glamour post about my nails having lifted, this post is about those troubles.  Horrible naked nail pictures ahead....

Since April 2014 I have experienced onycholysis - severe lifting of nails - three times.  The first time was cause unknown at the time, assumption was that psoriasis had triggered it, although looking back I think it may have related to Mentality nail polish as I had used it a lot prior to the problems arising.  The second time my nails rejected the use of gel polish - I don't know if it was gel polish not fully cured or if I just have extra sensitive nail beds since the first problems.  This most recent bout happened after I wore a brand new blue nail polish for the first time in October - apparently blues can have a pigment affecting nickel sensitive people.  Guess lucky old me, already being sensitive to nickel and having nail bed problems scored a jackpot.

November 24th

Left and top right Nov 24th - bottom right, Nov 25th
To deal with the lifting, I cut my nails right back as low as I could.  The reason for this is to try and avoid a fungal nail infection.  I am forever washing my hands and not being able to dry under the nail could have left me with a nasty fungal infection. After I cut them back, I used a lot of oil - I have been singing the praises of A&M Handmade Cosmetics Cuticle oil since I first tried it.  It really is like a magic potion.  Don't believe me?  Go and take a look at my IG page and scroll down.  I looked back at the posts I have put on there from around 12-15 weeks ago and cannot believe how red and sore my skin was, how stubborn the patches of dermatitis were.

My nails have been growing back and reattaching nicely - just my middle finger being a bit stubborn still.




What will come next is the delightful horizontal onycholysis ridges - the very same ones I had only just got rid of when it all happened again!  

Hopefully my nail mojo will return :(

A&M store is currently on vacation until January 3rd, but can be found on Etsy.


6 comments:

  1. Ouch you poor baby! Nail ridges can also be a sign of b12 deficiency. Might be good to check or take an easy supplement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be ok with B12, I do taje daily supplements. I am going to check out hubs' nails now though as he needs to be tested for B12 deficiency due to the surgery he has had. We both forgot the appointment and he missed his blood tests, so needs to rebook in January

      Delete
  2. Your poor nails! I hope your recovery continues and I'll be looking forward to seeing nail art from you. I'll be checking out that nail oil for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I carry on with my left hand, the ridges aren't looking as severe... just need to dind my mojo! Usually easiest to start with ideas screenshots, or revisiting old manis :)

      Delete
  3. Wonder if you have read this: http://www.ashleyispolishaddicted.com/2015/08/mentality-nail-polish-theres-more-to.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes,I have followed it. My hands in general improved so much when I stopped using Mentality polish.

      Delete

Comments are welcome, I have approval on so I do read and appreciate all comments left.